Sunday, December 07, 2003

Life is short

DONNA'S brother passed away. I saw it in the paper this morning, and KYLE emailed me to tell me. He was 33. I had met him at least a couple of times, once when I helped her move into her townhouse. He looked healthy, wasn't like overweight or anything. You know, in this day and age, you don't really think of pneumonia as being fatal, at least in a young person. I don't know. Anyway, my prayers have been and continue to be with the family.

When I asked about him Thursday night, and she was telling me he was going to have to undergo more surgery and stuff, she was trying to be strong and optimistic, but I could just see it in her eyes, that she was really worried and that it was bad. DONNA has been a great friend. My heart goes out to her. The brother/sister relationship is just... well, if you have one, you know how it is. It's special, and standing there Thursday, seeing her eyes start to water, I immediately was looking at it as if it were my sister. I couldn't imagine. It's so unexpected. I guess it makes you stop and take stock of your life, and even though we know life is short, it kind of brings that fact back to the forefront, you know? Be thankful for those around you, those you no doubt often take for granted that they'll just always be there. I am reminded of a passage from James.

"Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away."

No comments:

Post a Comment