Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Here it comes...

Preparing for the first Valentine's Day that I've really been single since at least 1994...

This is going to be different. Spending it on the other side. LOL Wait, that didn't sound exactly correct.

If you do have someone to spend Valentine's Day with, let me just say, don't forget your single friends. I can see that I was very guilty of that in the past. This can be a very difficult time for someone "between relationships." I would imagine it is even worse when Valentine's Day falls on the weekend, as it does this year. I regret that I have often forgotten about my single friends in the past. I guess some of them are married now, so they can forget about me this year. LOL

Obviously, it is a holiday created to make money for jewelry stores, candy companies, greeting card companies, florists, etc. But that doesn't lessen the feeling that many feel on this day. Besides, it has been my experience that when you're dating someone, every holiday you spend together is special, not to mention birthdays and anniversaries. So was it really necessary to create this day? No. Just another reason to spend money. You can't fight it. Guys who don't spend money end up looking like a loser and a cheapskate. Let us all remember, real love is not measured in any way by material things. The way you treat someone, the care you show them, the compromises and sacrifices you make, that's what matters. Love isn't something you say, it's something you do.

Some may say, "Bone, you don't seem to be depressed about being single on Valentine's Day." Well, this is true. I have learned, or I should say, I am learning "in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content." Plus, like I said, it's going to be something different this year. Also, I'm looking forward to saving that money. LOL Just kidding. Man, can't a guy crack a joke? Although I bought four Valentine's cards at Wal-Mart last night. What's up with that?

Let me share some words of encouragement:

"I would that all men were even as I myself....."
"I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, it is good for them if they abide even as I. But if they cannot contain, let them marry..." (I Cor. 7)

And in closing, whether single or a couple, if you know someone who you think might be feeling down Saturday, give them a call, or stop by to see them. Or, yes, even send them a card.

Wow, this has strangely hopped back and forth from serious to light-hearted, almost disconcertingly. K, that's all for now... fortunately.

"I guess I've grown tired. It's just what's expected of me, to tear your heart from the inside to the outside. You know I was wired. I just didn't mean it the hundred thousand times I hurt you... Dear Joan, I wanted to say I'm sorry for the screaming last night, and the nights before..."

No comments:

Post a Comment