Wednesday, February 11, 2004

The final day of my thirtieth year...

...turned out to be a good day, a really good day.

I got calls from two people today that I haven't heard from in months. So I'm sitting here in a listless languor and my cell phone rings. Turns out to be Jen, who I've dated off and on three or four times over the past three years. We had a nice little chat. Hadn't heard from her in at least three months.

Then I go to church and afterwards my usual Wednesday night, second job, in the rain... I stop by home to change clothes and I have a message on my home phone. Turns out to be Bobbie, the girl I was engaged to many moons ago, calling to wish me a happy birthday. Wow! I have not talked to her since like last summer sometime. Anyway, I have no time to talk so I figure I'll call her when I get done. So while I'm out I run into Charlotte, this girl I went to church with like many years ago. I ask where she's working and she's like "They're hiring," and tells me to put her name down on my resume. So I'm all stoked about that.

Then, the usuals-- Mandy was working and Jonathan was coming out of Food World. I promise I have run into him at least four of the last five weeks up there on Wednesday night. LOL So I call Bobbie back when I get home. We had a nice conversation, catching up on everything. We always had this relationship, even after we split up, maybe especially after we split up, where we could talk about anything. Sorta like Nina on Seinfeld that time ("The Betrayal"). We never had a bad conversation. LOL

Anyway, it was just really nice to hear from people I haven't heard from in awhile, you know. It's good to hear from friends and acquaintances. I mean, isn't that what life is all about? The people we touch, and those who touch our lives. Then I had a message from Bunny. Turns out she has been in Kansas City at some conference. Good to hear from her, too. She always sends bday cards, and cards for every holiday. It was just a good night overall. Thank you, Lord.

Well, thirty-one, here I come... ready or not. (Hmm, actually that should be the final day of my thirty-first year...technically.)

"I think I'll take a moment, to celebrate my age. The ending of an era. The turning of a page. Now it's time to focus in on where I go from here. Lord, have mercy on my next thirty years..."

No comments:

Post a Comment