Friday, February 13, 2004

The Friday (the 13th) Five

I thought this Friday Five was a little lame. But that's probably because superstition is not my thing. I guess it fits the day though, right?

1. Are you superstitious?

I don't think so. Unless you consider low-level OCD to be superstitious. I have sliding closet doors in my bedroom, and every night I have to go and push them as far as they will go to make sure they're closed, even though most of the time they're already closed. Weird.

I guess I have done the "knock on wood" thing several times. And sometimes when a black cat crosses the street in front of me, I'll speed up to make sure it has crossed my path... but nothing bad ever happens. What?

2. What extremes have you heard of someone going to in the name of superstition?

The only thing I can even think of that anyone I know ever does is eating blackeyed peas on New Year's Day, which is supposed to bring good luck in the new year, I think. Seems like I've heard stories of athletes doing crazy stuff, like wearing the same underwear or socks or something while they're winning. I guess if it gives you confidence that something good is going to happen, then that can only help you.

I do have a friend who rarely leaves home on Friday the 13th. Of course, he pretty much never leaves home anyway. LOL

3. Believer or not, what's your favorite superstition?

I haven't ranked my favorite superstitions lately, so I really couldn't say. Back in the day, when riding in cars with girls, seems like they used to do this silly thing when we would cross railroad tracks where they hit the top of the car and yelled something. I can't remember what they yelled, but I kinda like that one, because it seemed to make them happy... plus there were girls in the car. You gotta love that. lol

4. Do you believe in luck? If yes, do you have a lucky number/article of clothing/ritual?

No, I don't think so. I like the number 4. And 23. But I don't consider them lucky. I mean, I've said "what luck" and "good luck" and "I'm so lucky" and stuff like that before, but those are more just expressions, I think. We shouldn't mistake luck for blessings.

5. Do you believe in astrology? Why or why not?

No. I don't know that much about it though. My question is, do we consider people nutty because they become astrologers, or do people become astrologers because they're nutty? Tee hee. (Wow, I'll probably get some backlash from the Astrologers & Seers Society on that one.)

"I like the limited edition, khaki and army green. Patent leather pin stripe, you should see how I do the strings. Size twelve with the strap. Red and white with the cardinal cap. All flavors, well it just depends on when and where I'm at..."

No comments:

Post a Comment