Thursday, September 16, 2004

Watching Ivan...

That's what most of us around here have been doing the past couple of days. K and I were out last night and saw several Florida tags. I can't imagine having to evacuate my home and go look for a place to stay 300-400 miles away. And some people have evacuated three times in the past few weeks.

Ivan did make landfall around 3:00 this morning near Gulf Shores. I've spent many a weekend there and a lot of time in Mobile as well, so those two places are near to my heart, almost like a home away from home. It's a little harder seeing them get slammed like that. According to the article, 12 deaths have been reported so far. Over 600,000 without power. I sure hope someone I know who was vacationing in Destin got out of there.

Current conditions here:
Light rain
Temp: 72 degrees
Winds: ENE 20 mph
Radar

The wind is picking up. According to the local weather people, we are expecting up to six inches of rain, strong winds, along with possible flooding, power outages, and tornadoes. I'm hoping to get home before it gets too bad. I guess I'll be blogging as long as we have power.

"Marry him or marry me. I'm the one that loves you, baby, can't you see. I ain't got no future or family tree, but I know what a prince and lover ought to be..."

2 comments:

  1. Apparently Gulf Shores was decimated. The FloraBama is no longer there. It all got compeltely washed out to sea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanna go see the damage, but it will break my heart to see the beach washed away.

    Just heard around 150,000 in Bham metro have lost power. It's gettin' close.

    ReplyDelete