Saturday, July 24, 2004

Invaluable Moments

Well, it's over. My sister got married today. And I figured I'd blog one last time before I go careening off the Hudson Memorial Bridge. Things went pretty well, wedding-wise. They forgot to blow out their candles, so I mouthed to my sister "Blow out your candles." She was like, "What?" I did it again, and she got it. Also, when I was walking Mom in, her candle went out. So she was whispering to me, "My candle went out. My candle went out." I had no idea what to do. There were some candles up on the stage that were burning, so as inconspicuously as I could, I took her candle and walked up to the stage and re-lit it. Gee, you know, I'm pretty good at this wedding stuff. Maybe I should get married myself someday.

There are just no words to describe how it feels to walk your mother up the aisle and she clutches your arm tighter and you know she is doing all she can to hold back the tears, and you know as of this day, your lives are really changing forever. There are no words to describe how it feels to see your Dad walk your baby sister down the aisle and give her away. And there are no words to describe the final few moments before the ceremony that I got to spend with my sister, just her and me. I walked upstairs to where she was waiting. She was telling me how nervous she was, and I tried to calm her nerves a little. Then someone yelled up the stairs and asked her if she needed them to carry her train down the stairs, and she said, "No, Jeff will get it." Those precious few minutes when it was just her and me, they are invaluable to me. We didn't say a whole lot, but there were so many feelings, so many memories that flooded my mind, not a lot had to be said. That was absolutely one of the best moments of my life. And the thing was, it was unplanned. The urge just hit me to walk up to see her, and I am so very glad I did.

I did get some nice pictures, and one of my aunts took some pics of the ceremony. As soon as I get my USB cable back, I will post a few. I am sure you are all waiting with baited breath ;-) In other news, I wish I had a dollar for everytime I got one of these lines: "So, when are we gonna be doing this for you?" "I guess you're the next in line." "Isn't it about time for you to be doing this?" I love it. Anyway, it turned out to be a good day. Everyone did a really good job. I'll try to post more later. I just hope he's good to my sister.

"Ordinary? No. I really don't think so. Not a love this true. Common destiny. We were meant to be, me and you..."

No comments:

Post a Comment