Friday, November 26, 2004

So what's new with you?

I had to work today. Did you?

What's new? Let me tell ya...
I heard this question several times the past couple of days. Just once, I would like to have a really good answer when someone asks that. Something like:
"Well, I just got back from the Galapagos Islands. I lived there for six months while doing research."
Or "Not a lot. Oh, by the way, have you met my fiancee? She's from the former Soviet Union. Oh, Svetlana..."
Or "I was just out in Hollywood last week filming an episode of Jeopardy. I'm not supposed to tell anyone, but I beat Ken Jennings. It wasn't really even close."

But no, my answer is always the same, "not much." I'm exactly the same as I was five years ago. I guess maybe there's something comforting and reassuring in that. Maybe.

Yesterday
My uncle who lives in Texas asked me yesterday if I was still dating "that girl from Gulf Shores." Wow, that ended like almost 3 years ago. My cousin who still refers to me as "J.T. Love" was there as well. It's always nice to be reminded of that former persona at least once a year by the only person in the entire population of the world who still calls me that.

Last night, Kyle and I had dinner at Cracker Barrell, then watched the Seinfeld special on NBC at 9:00. Do you realize how very close that show came to not ever becoming a series? Imagine what our lives would be like without it? I shudder to think...

Quotes and Dialogue
"She didn't answer when I called. No one picked up."
"Hmm. They must have caller ID."

"Come on, Human Jukebox. You've got 50,000 songs in your head. Think of something."

"There's that guy from Extreme Home Makeover."
"Dude, that's a chick show."
"No, it's not. It's a good show."
"You need to start watching manly shows... like Gilmore Girls."

"Punch the clock, head for home, check the phone, just in case. Go to bed, dream of you. That's what I'm doin' these days..."

No comments:

Post a Comment