Thursday, February 03, 2005

Pop in some Verdi, and rip the knob off!

Who am I, Bob Cobb?
OK, you already know I like Milli Vanilli, MC Hammer, and Wham! (What, you didn't know about that one? Oh well, may as well get it all out now.) So the following will either further the strange impression you have of me, or it will leave you saying, "Why did it take you so long?"

I am the Human Jukebox. That is one of the many nicknames given me over the years. I assume it comes from my propensity to often be singing or humming random songs. I also enjoy a wide variety of music, but one genre that I just never got into was classical music. Until now. I don't know why, but lately I have been flipping around the non-profit radio stations, you know around 87-89 on the FM dial. So last night after church, I went to Wal-Mart to buy a new can opener, and also ended up buying a 4 disc set of classical music. I can't explain it. It's just so powerful and moving. It's amazing how the music can say so much with no words.

So... do you think I'm weird? lol

Seinfeld Radio?
Also while surfing the low-end stations last night, the voice of George Costanza caught my attention. At first, I thought it was a promo for the show, or some people will play a little comedy bit as a bumper coming out of a commercial break. But I soon realized, it was an entire episode, The Secret Code, to be exact. It was on 88.7. I think maybe they were just simulcasting the local Fox television affiliate, but I'm not sure.

Dialogue
Me: "Have you talked to ______?"
K: "Well, I tried calling her today, but the guy who answered said she wasn't there."

Me: "Is that Blind Bart?"
K: "No, it's Steve Vai."
Me: "Oh, well I could barely hear it, but it kinda sounded like Kevin singing."

A: "That's weird, 3 guys and one girl."
Me: "Nah. That's usually about the ratio I find myself in."

J: "We should go fishing. Wouldn't that be fun?"
Me: "Yeah."
J: "Except I don't really like to touch the bait. Or the fish."
Me: "Well, that could pose a problem."

"Misty sunrise in my hometown, rows of cotton 'bout knee high. Mrs. Baker down the dirt road, still got clothes out on the line..."

1 comment: