Thursday, June 24, 2004

I've got good news and bad news

Which do you want first? What do you say when someone poses that question to you? I usually pick the bad news. I say, get it out of the way. Besides, I've found that normally when someone says that, the good news isn't really THAT good, and when I've chosen to hear it first, I'm usually left thinking, "THAT'S the good news?!" So maybe what we should really say is, "I've got some bad news, and some slightly better news. Which do you want to hear first?"

That's kinda like the joke where the doctor tells the patient, "I've got good news and bad news" and the guy is like, "Well what's the good news?" The doctor says, "The good news is you've got twenty-four hours to live." And the patient is like, "THAT'S the GOOD news? What is the bad news?" "The bad news is, I meant to tell you yesterday."

Anyway, what brought all this to mind is Jessica called me yesterday and said she had good news and bad news. She lost her job, or rather, her position was terminated. That was the bad news. Hopefully, she'll find something else soon. I would think that the medical field would be one of the more stable.

Gas was down to $1.78 at Shell today. Filled up with $25. Man, prices were a lot higher within about a 40 mile range of the beach. It was like $1.95 and up down there. I have spent $122 on gas thusfar in June.

The NBA draft is today. Hard to believe, but it was 20 years ago that the Chicago Bulls selected Michael Jordan out of the University of North Carolina with the #3 overall pick in the draft. Twenty years. Man, those were the days. I remember I would pretend to play the games outside on my goal or inside on my nerf goal. I'd keep like stats and everything. Keep time with a stopwatch, call fouls on myself, etc. etc. etc. It was really cool, or abnormal, whichever. MJ always wore his blue UNC shorts underneath his Bulls shorts during games. Much like I still wear the tights from my first ballet recital underneath my jeans. Oh...wait.

Since MJ retired, I really don't root for any one team anymore. Sure, I rooted for the Wizards when he came back for a couple of seasons. But now, I just wait for the playoffs and pick one team in the Finals that I like for whatever reason and root for them, and of course, whoever is playing the Lakers.

In "if I mention Hosny Mubarak in my blog, the hits will come rolling in" news:
I got a hit from a search for Hosny Mubarak today. Wooooooo!! That's one. I can't understand why I haven't been getting more activity from that. It's all that Iraqi turmoil. What we need to do is uncover some Tutankhamen memorabilia. That's what we need. I am #5 on Google's search list for Hosny (or H Mubizzle, as I like to call him).

Well, I really needed that vacation. I was getting burned out around here and a bit stressed overall. It's kinda cool when people call and they're like "glad you made it back safely" and "did you have a good trip" and stuff like that. One of the neater parts of this job, I guess.

"If you ask me how I'm doing, I'd say just fine. But the truth is baby, if you could read my mind. Not a day goes by, that I don't think of you. After all this time, you're still with me, it's true. Somehow you remain, locked so deep inside..."

No comments:

Post a Comment