Thursday, June 10, 2004

I'm losing my sister

That's what it feels like. I know it sounds geigh to say that, but that is how I've felt the past few weeks. She told me the other day she turned in her resignation at her job. I didn't know what to say. I mean, she is grown. She can make her own decisions. But she has never attended the first day of college in her life, and makes more than a lot of people I know with four-year degrees. And I know I did the exact same thing, pretty much, but I have also regretted it at times. And I just want the best for her. I suppose there are some lessons we have to learn on our own, and no matter how much someone tries to tell us something, we think we know best.

Anyhow, it just feels like a lot of things are changing. She will be getting married in 44 days!!! My baby sister!!! She has been really busy planning the wedding and taking care of stuff for her house, so we haven't gotten to see each other or talk much these past few weeks. I guess Mom and Dad are going thru much of the same feelings. I don't know. Dad acts like it doesn't even bother him. Mom bawled her eyes out when she told her she was getting married. I dunno. I know it is all a part of life. I guess everyone who has a sibling goes thru this. Things change. I just worry about her.

Here's what I wrote on her birthday last year.

"Ain't it funny how a melody, can bring back a memory. Take you to another place and time, completely change your state of mind..."

3 comments:

  1. Jeff,
    Wow, well, your right, life is certainly full of amazing things. Sometimes these amazing things seem so tough. When people get married, or even when they have met the person they seem to want to spend the rest of their life with, the rest of us seem to get left behind.
    I want to encourage you though, that Romans 8:28 basically says that all things work together for God's glory. It is also good for us. It is all a part of our becoming more sactified...more like Christ.
    Just as you and your sister were not close years ago, you became close over time. Perhaps as her new chapter in life begins, she will desire more time being focused on her new life mate. After a while, things may/and likely will come back around. I cannnot say that it will be the exact same as now, but perhaps things will again become close between the two of you. This same thing happeded to my sister and I. AFter she became married we were not as close, but soon came to be closer than ever.
    It is also good to remember that we ourselves change in other peoples views in some ways. Sometimes time allows those changes to seem less crazy and sometimes not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, thanks for sharing your heart. I have certainly felt many similar feelings in different relationships. Call me sometime...I don't currently have your number, but Kyle can give it to you or you may already have it. I would like to be able to talk with you more and pray with you.
    Your friend in Christ,
    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, bro. I would post my number here, but, well, you know how it is... chicks. I wouldn't have enough minutes on my cell phone to cover all those calls... or no one at all would call.. whichever.

    That reminds me of K's surprise party last year:
    You: "Hello."
    Me: "Hey Jeremy, this is Jeff."
    You: "Who?" ROFL

    ReplyDelete