Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Dear Abby, have you lost it?!

I was reading this article in Dear Abby the other day. (No, I don't read Dear Abby everyday... really.) I found her response a bit disturbing. What do you think?

DEAR ABBY: My 16-year-old daughter went to a party at a frat house where she was given a great deal to drink. Feeling "woozy," she went outside. One of the "boys" she had been talking to went with her and suggested she go back to his room to lie down. She had known this fellow before that night and trusted him. She was drunk, and he had sex with her. It was her first time. She claims she tried to make him stop, but he wouldn't, and she couldn't make him. Shouldn't the young man be punished in some way? I feel something should be done, and I also worry about him doing this to some other girl. Would this constitute date rape? -- CONFUSED IN VIRGINIA

DEAR CONFUSED: You're darn right it was date rape. And the "something" you should do is call the nearest rape crisis center and get help for your daughter. You should also inform the police. I'm sure they'll be interested to know that minors are being given alcohol and taken advantage of at that fraternity house, as well as the name of the man who assaulted your daughter. You're absolutely correct that he's likely to do it again."

What in the crap? What about the mother who let her daughter go to the frat party in the first place. Maybe I was just raised differently than a lot of people. Maybe I was sheltered, but I don't really think a 16 year old girl should be going to a frat party. When I was in school, 16 was like the minimum age most parents would even let their daughter go out on a date. Solve the following equation and you'll see why this is unwise:

16 year old girl + frat guys + alcohol = ???

What do you think is going to happen? It's a frat party. There's a better
chance of alcohol being present than there is of George Bush mispronouncing
a word during any given speech. Those are pretty good odds.

[+/-]read more/done

No comments:

Post a Comment