Well, this week's American Idol was much better than last week. I thought Constantine was far and away the best this week. Vonzell, Carrie, Anwar, and Anthony were all pretty close to each other in my opinion. I could have ranked any one of them anywhere from 2-5. I think overall, Constantine, Bo, Carrie, and Vonzell would be my final four. I would be OK if Nadia or Scott were the next to go. Here are my rankings for the night:
1. Constantine - Wow! He killed tonight. He has really come on the last two weeks and has blown Bo and Carrie out of the water. "Bohemian Rhapsody" was a great choice. Is it just me, or does the music, lighting, and atmosphere always seem to be better for his performances? He's a little over-dramatic for my taste.
2. Vonzell - She is really growing on me. She never really has a terrible, terrible performance. But she hasn't really been that great, either. I thought tonight was one of her best nights. She's a pretty girl, too, which helps.
3. Carrie - Whoa! That was definitely different for Carrie. She was shakin' it, which was about the time she got my vote. Great outfit. Oh, the song? She can't get nearly as low as Benatar, but I thought she sang well. Well, I tend to agree with Simon's analogy. She's not comfortable with this type of music, but I give her an A for effort, and an A++ for appearance. So many people just act like she's so far and away better than everyone else, but I just don't see that in her performances. I mean, come on, we're down to the final eight and she messed up the words again.
4. Anwar - Sometimes Anwar's voice is smooth and soothing. Other times, it's fingernails-on-a-chalkboard irritating. I think he did well tonight. I could put him anywhere from 3rd to 5th. They were all pretty close in my mind.
5. Anthony - Since I've been watching, this is by far his best performance. Actually, it's his only decent performance that I can recall. But one decent night shouldn't make up for ten weeks of crap. Still, he clearly has a lot of fans, and probably saved himself for another week. I just get the feeling that this is about as well as he can do.
6. Bo - OK, Bo has slipped the past two weeks. I'm sure the teenage girl vote will carry him thru, but he needs to pick it up. I think he sang OK, but the music wasn't right or something. When I heard him announce he was singing "Freebird", I thought, OK, this is Bo, he's gonna rock. But then it was like he never completely just let go. Sounded too restrained. As for Simon telling him to do a popular song, what the crap? "Freebird" isn't popular? You need to come to Alabama.
7. Scott - I didn't like his interview at all. I feel like he's about to whack somebody at any moment. He's one who has trouble with the lower, starting notes everytime. He does OK on the big notes and when the song gets higher, but the verses are, as Simon might say, horrendous. But then again, he has such a great, fun-loving, happy attitude. (I hope you know that was blog sarcasm.) Simon better be careful, Scott is probably packin' heat.
8. Nadia - The song was boring. She is just not likable to me. Perhaps its her labor-pain-face when she sings. And that dress!! Please make it stop. Cover my eyes!! I've seen way too much already.
"You say the weather in Atlanta is foggy and gray, work gets harder everyday, and your new boyfriend is holdin' on too tight..."