Friday, March 18, 2005

One and done babee!

When I was little, I used to be scared of bridges. But Dad told me one day that sometimes a bridge is the only way to get to where you need to be. So now, anytime I see someone standing on a bridge looking troubled, I tell them "This is the only way to get to where you need to be."

Blogger Bone's Day Off
I headed over to Huntsville to watch the Bama game at the Benchwarmer. Enjoyed some wings, good conversation, threw back a couple of Cokes like they were water. All was great, except for the game. Bama got upset by Wisconsin-Milwaukee. (Who? Exactly.) They shot lights out. They'll probably shoot 30% and lose by 20 to BC. Oh well, I knew we were in trouble when I saw that Ian Eagle and Jim Spenakle were the broadcast team for our game. Anyway, I enjoyed seeing UAB crush LSU. It's always nice to see John Brady get the absolute most out of his team. And by most, I mean least. I haven't had a chance to look at my bracket yet. I'll do that when I get home. Then I'll probably cry.

Some NCAA commentator funnies:
- "They've got to explore Bass inside." (Umm, no thanks.)
- "Yeah, but Creighton doesn't have anybody like Pitsnogle." (Few do.)
- "Squeaky's got that little floater."

So that's why Mark McGwire was never on CSPAN
Spent a large portion of the afternoon watching the Congressional hearings on steroids in baseball. It was kinda like watching CSPAN (or Canadian Parliament... not that I've ever done that... for very long). I was skeptical at first, but after they got to the players, I couldn't turn away. They made Mark McGwire look like a total buffoon. By the end, I almost started feeling sorry for him. He was so afraid he would say something to incriminate himself. If I heard "I'm not here to talk about the past, I want to put a positive spin on this" one time, I heard it twenty-five times. The only thing I will give him is at least he didn't lie and deny it. I'm not so sure about Sosa. After his "I didn't know my bat was corked" statement a couple of years ago, he just doesn't have a lot of credibility with me. I mean, Oscar Mayer should've patented that response, because that was 100% pure baloney! I just wish Barry Bonds would've been subpoenaed.

There were many good points made and questions raised. Among them:
- Why did baseball so diligently and aggressively pursue, investigate, and punish Pete Rose for gambling, and yet seems to be doing everything it can to avoid doing the same to steroid users?
- The drug testing agreement, as publicized by baseball, would punish a first-time offender with a 10-game suspension along with a public disclosure of his name. However, the real agreement gives the commissioner the option of fining a player rather than suspending him and not revealing the player's name.

Had dinner with a friend last night at Ruby Tuesday's. And now, I'm back at work. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

"These are the days that make up the lifetimes. These are the clothes that I wear. This is the only thing I wanted more than anything..."

No comments:

Post a Comment