Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A blogger book

A few months ago, I was told about a book being compiled by Peach and four other bloggers. It was to be a book of shared experiences written by bloggers, titled You're Not The Only One. They were accepting submissions of previously unpublished material from anyone with a blog.

At first, I wasn't going to submit. Then later, I still wasn't going to submit. Because as much as I profess to want to be a writer, I had never officially submitted my work anywhere for possible publication, nor possible rejection. But hey, to never fail is to never try, right?

One thing that really pushed me over the edge and made me finally decide to submit this time was that proceeds from the book were going to charity. And not the Human Fund, but a real charity. I've always been impressed by the overall generosity of bloggers and their eagerness to help.

So finally, up against the deadline, and thanks to some gentle encouragement and arm twisting from a few people, I sent in a couple of submissions. I never figured any of mine would be selected, but always hoped.

Well, the book is out now, and I am in it! Checking Peach's blog Monday night--as I have done almost daily for the past three months--I was unexpectedly overcome with emotion when I saw "Bone" on the list of contributors. I didn't realize how big a deal it would be for me--someone who has never been published--to have a piece included in this book.

That being said, this isn't about me at all. As I mentioned earlier, proceeds from this book will go to Warchild, which works around the world to help children affected by war.

Also, thanks to Peach and the others who helped put this book together for giving bloggers like myself a chance to have something published. They are to be commended for the countless hours they undoubtedly spent on this project. What a wonderful and worthwhile thing to do.

You're Not The Only One includes stories from over a hundred bloggers. The cost is around $22. For more details, visit Peach. And again, it's for a good cause.

Support independent publishing: buy this book on Lulu.

"Dear Sir or Madam, will you read my book? It took me years to write it, will you take a look?"

16 comments:

  1. Look at you! Published! I'm glad you submitted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could write a long comment about this, but I've probably said it all before. So I'll go for short and sweet: congratulations. We're all so proud of you.

    (And you should be too.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear that the procedes aren't going to the Human Fund too.

    Congrats on being published! perhaps we'll see you out there more often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You weren't going to submit. You weren't going to submit. You weren't going to submit

    Remember this: Buy hey, to never fail is to never try, right?

    I'm very very very proud. You will submit. You will submit. You will submit

    You're very very good. Very very good. Very very good.

    I'm doing everything three times on the theory that if you hear it three times, but uh....

    And while it's nice that the proceeds are going to charity--charity begins at____so submit, submit, submit

    ReplyDelete
  5. wooohoo!! way to go bone... i had read you were accepted over on pia's blog earlier today,, and i am ever so thrilled you posted it so i could let you know how thrilled i am for you!!!!

    and the book itself is really cool,, this is the first i had heard of it,, but i really love the concept and the fact that the proceeds are being used for a good cause...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say

    "Hurray"!


    I am very glad for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic! That book sounds excellent. I never anticipated the emotional support I would receive from blogging; the 'friends' I would care about so deeply; the experiences I would learn from. Blogging is - wonderful.

    What a great idea for a book! Congrats. and you were in Atlanta Monday night?!?! (I wasn't. I was buried in books preparing for my final the following day. hope the city treated you well.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! I hope I can say the same by the end of this year. Each yr my BFF and I decide to do one thing we've never done before, just by paying attention we usually achieve more than one thing- My choice this year was to be published. So far, a classified ad for a yard sale doesn't count; not submitting doesn't get anywhere either (why is that????) So here we are in the 6th month and I feel the clock ticking...
    TICK TOCK TICK TOCK TICK TOCK
    it is taunting me!!! Oh why didn't I just choose snowboarding?
    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, congratulations! That is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW congrats. How cool. I'm so happy to know a famous blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! I can't believe that you've not been published. Your stories are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Mr. Big Time Writer! Now with all those royalties, you'll get to play golf all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations. A great charitable project is the perfect place for you to publish first.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bone, congratulations. That's such wonderful news, you are really good and going through that list, I was really glad to see you there...one person I know kind of a feeling ;) well, virtually know :) Hope all else is well, just caught your beach adventure too...enjoy the summer, will be back to read more soon...

    ReplyDelete
  15. My copy of the book arrived last week, but I was so busy that I didn't get a chance to even open the box until last night. But let me just say that when I opened it and read your entry, I was even more proud of you and accomplishment than I was before. And I didn't think that was possible.

    I hope that you chose to share this with your family and friends that don't normally read your blog. They should have this opportunity to share it with you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. any news coming ?

    ReplyDelete