Thursday, November 09, 2006

The time I almost met John Stamos

Today's long distance request and dedication is from a boy in Alabama. It's about a girl in a peach outfit. A girl he almost met nearly twenty years ago. He writes, Dear Casey...

One summer, when I was fourteen or fifteen, I attended a celebrity softball game with my friend Archie and his parents. There were several actors, singers, and professional athletes on hand, if I recall. But for some reason, I can only remember one for certain. John Stamos.

I think Heather Locklear and the guy from Sawyer Brown may have been there, too. But I'm not sure. Why can I remember John Stamos and not Heather Locklear? Oh, right. That would be Archie's fault.

I had no idea who John Stamos was at the time. Full House either wasn't on yet or had just started. And I've never been one to catch on to a series from the beginning anyway. Even with Cheers and Seinfeld, it took me a few seasons to become a regular. But Archie knew who he was. And evidently, was quite the fan.

So even though our seats were up behind home plate, Archie drug me down the first base line at some point during the game. There, I watched him and about twenty-five girls clamor for right fielder John Stamos' autograph between innings. It seemed a little gay at the time. Even moreso now.

Fortunately, the right field stands were mostly empty, so I was able to stand back and distance myself a bit from this disturbing display. Oddly, Stamos appeared to be signing autographs for all the girls first, and the next inning started before he got around to Archie.

Empty handed, we returned to our seats. And to my other vivid memory from that fair June day. The girl in the peach outfit. Yes, peach. Remember, this was the pastel decade.

The girl in the peach outfit sat directly in front of me. And to that point in my life, she was the most beautiful creature I had ever laid eyes on. I spent the majority of the afternoon "accidentally" bumping into her with my knee. Causing her to turn around and say, "Excuse me" or "I'm sorry." Such a timeless game.

But alas, I never got any further. I guess I was shy. Plus, it's hard to pick up a chick when you can't drive and your friend's parents are sitting right next to you. And your friend spends half the game gushing over John Stamos, and the other half complaining, "Why was Stamos ignoring me?" But I'll always wonder what might have been.

When we got back home that evening, I spent the night at Archie's. We were listening to the American Top Forty Countdown when Casey Kasem did a long distance request and dedication.

I spent the rest of the night and the next day pining away endlessly. Talking about the girl in the peach outfit. Telling Archie that I thought I might love her. And that I was going to write in and dedicate a song to her. But then, I think you usually need at least a first name for that.

...So Casey, could you please play Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car, for the girl in the peach outfit. Signed, Bone. Well Bone, here's your long distance request and dedication...

That's the story of how I almost met John Stamos. And I'm still wondering why we didn't pay more attention to Heather Locklear.

"Every now and then I get a little bit nervous that the best of all the years have gone by..."

22 comments:

  1. That's got to be the funniest thing you've written in awhile. Oh, goodness.

    Good song though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo... I loved the method of translating this story. It's very cute.

    Yes, cute.

    You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm...what's Sawyer Brown?

    (seriously)

    (you better not be laughing)

    (I promise it has nothing to do with you being old, but I really just don't know)

    ReplyDelete
  4. was the outfit peach or pink? I think you might have typoed there.

    Great almost famous story. My almost famous story was the one you've already heard about...the New Kids. I really think that the Disney dancers did a better job of lipsyncing the song than they did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad Archie got his autograph, albeit weird.

    I rode a roller coaster with Richard Marx and his band once. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Full House wasn't even on yet??? How long ago was this? :)
    Good post, it made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man, that was good. Especially the style of the tale. It makes me want to post the story of the time that I scared the crap out of Ben Folds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Traveling Chica: Thanks. I wasn't sure if it was all the funny or not.

    Blondie: Thank you, Miss Blondie.

    Heather B: Sawyer Brown is a country music band. I should have linked them.

    Renee: Oh, yes I did at the end. I'll fix it. Thanks. It was peach. Definitely peach. I got memory burn from it.

    And I'm planning to do my New Kids post either Friday or Saturday. So you can retell your story for us all :)

    Carmen: No, no. Archie never got his autograph. I guess I wasn't clear.

    Did Marx' hair stay in place on the coaster?

    Lindsy: I'm thinking 1987 or 1988. What were you, like four? ;-)

    Big Man: Do it! Was it just Ben, or the entire Five?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've got a bra update posted right now (Darly's saga continues). So perhaps Saturday?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely story! I think I was waaaaaaay more interested in your interaction with the elusive girl than John Stamos though. Sure wish you could have got her name, or slipped her a note... :)

    romantically,
    circe

    ReplyDelete
  11. To echo the previous comments....I love the format you used to tell this story...really wonderful!

    Those little crushes and flirting is one of the things I miss most about being young.

    ReplyDelete
  12. uh, Bone, want to know more about the girl. But first, you who know everything about GH--John Stamos began his career as Blackie, on it

    ReplyDelete
  13. Funny stuff Bone! Very funny!

    Crush update on hotpinksox.

    Sorry I missed you last night.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Renee: OK. I'm gonna skip the bra update. You should begin those entries with a disclaimer or something :)

    Circe: Well, yes. But "The Time I Almost Met John Stamos" seemed like a more interesting title than "The Time I Almost Met A Girl."

    ;-)

    RedNeckGirl: I agree. Crushes, and making out. That was the best.

    Pia: Very good. I figured someone might bring that up. The thing is, for many years, I never was good at knowing or remembering actor's real names. Also, I think Blackie was on during one of the phases where I didn't watch GH much. I started back watching in the mid-80's I think. Frisco and Felicia's wedding. That era.

    Hotpinksox: Thanks. I hope things are progressing for you in Crushville.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a hilarious story! Oh I remember being so in love with a guy here, or there. And, it's one of those feelings like you are just gonna die if you don't meet, talk to or go out with this person. I kinda miss those feelings since for some reason they don't happen anymore. I guess we get jaded as we get older and that whole fairy tale thing just goes out the window.

    I used to love to listen to Casey too. I could hear his voice when I was reading this story. This is a good one Bone!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pia stole my comment! ;-)

    "Why was Stamos ignoring me" actually made me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Archie drug me?

    This explains too much about Bone--and if this comment doesn't take, I'm never leaving another,

    ReplyDelete
  18. and now uncle jesse is a great er doctor..who knew he would progress so..wonder if he still is as concerned about his hair. and where, oh where, did uncle joey go? rehab?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Carnealian: I was hearing Casey's voice as I wrote this post. Come to think of it, I hear Casey's voice quite often.

    Lizzie: Good. Thanks for letting me know. Always like to know when my attempts at humor actually work.

    Pia: Um, you'll have to explain the ways in which that sentence sums up my being.

    Xinh: That's cool. Augh, I was planning to use Kokomo as my lyric for this post. Since they played it that time on Full House.

    Alison: Yes, indeed, Uncle Joey was on season three of The Surreal Life. More about that in the post above :)

    Renee: So is mine now :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awww. I always wanted someone to dedicate a song to me. Alas, it never happened.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lass: Aww, poor Lass. I don't even think I ever had a dedication on the local radio station's dedication hour. Those were always good.

    "This one goes out to LeeAnn from Rodney. To Jimmy from Stephanie. To Christy from someone you know. And to Tammy from Chris. It's Timmy T, and One More Try."

    ReplyDelete