Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Hard habit to break

Lately I've been wandering about the house in a state of disoriented malaise. OK, so that's not really anything out of the ordinary. But I've also been unable to go to sleep before 2 AM on weeknights. My body is rebelling. It stays up, expecting to see volleyball, or platform diving, or Michael Phelps' Mom. But instead all that's on are Will & Grace reruns or the Steve Wilkos Show. I like Steve, but that only lasts an hour. Then what.

I'm having withdrawals. And I think a huge part of the problem is the lack of anything decent on TV right now. The Democratic National Convention is OK, but it doesn't quench my gold medal thirst. Maybe if Hillary could have done a front handspring with full twist and stuck the landing. Or maybe if they invited Bela Karolyi to be a guest analyst. How sad is it that I know how to spell Karolyi without even looking it up anymore.

I've been having a recurring nightmare of a female gymnast who falls during her vault landing, but still receives perfect 10's. (Yes, I know they don't give 10's anymore, but it's a dream, go with it.) Each time, I wake up in a cold sweat calling out, "Bela!!!"

I miss the secure feeling of knowing that some Olympic event is on NBC, CNBC, MSNBC, or USA no matter what time of day or night it is. I miss cheering for the Americans, and sometimes cute German and Australian girls. (This means you Britta Steffen.) I even miss Jim Lampley's stoic, monotone delivery.

I've tried everything I know to get my fix. I searched for that hokey Olympic theme music (BUM BUM ba bum bum bum bum) on iTunes, sent Hope Solo a friend request on MySpace, and I'm seriously considering giving myself a Dalhausser. I even tried showering off each time I use the restroom just to be like the divers. Didn't help.

How bad has it gotten? Last night, I turned over to Jimmy Kimmel to see if he had any Olympians on.

Jimmy. Kimmel.

Clearly, these are desperate times. Thankfully, he didn't but Letterman did. Bryan Clay, the decathlon gold medalist, was on the Late Show. I watched him throw shot puts and javelins at a cab. Clay, not Letterman.

Tonight, Misty May and Kerri are on. Thank goodness, too. Google images just wasn't doing it for me anymore. Anyway, that should tide me over until tomorrow. And then, who knows. With an addiction like this, all I can do is take it one day, one hour, one Logan Tom-less moment at a time.

At least until college football starts Saturday.

"I guess I thought you'd be here forever. Another illusion I chose to create. You don't know what you got until it's gone. And I found out a little too late..."

17 comments:

  1. what??? you aren't watching reruns of lock up on msnbc... oh that's right... they are doing the dnc thingy aren't they.... never mind.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your body adjusts back to your regular routine soon. Poor guy. That olympics can be so addicting.

    You could do like George and just go in the shower...save you a step. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO_BnsrWMnI

    So it's not the current Olympics but I enjoyed watching his gymnastic skills. After you watch that clip, watch the uneven bars. Fun stuff. One day - probably the first day of school when I was completely overwhelmed - I watched the uneven bars four times just to laugh.

    Hope your body gets back into the swing of things soon. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Michael Phelps is going to host the first episode of Saturday Night Live this season.

    I'm excited to hear what you decide about the Dalhauser. And hopefully see a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wellllll, I heard a rumor that somewhere near you Nastia and Shawn were going to be on their U.S. Olympic Gymnastics Champions Tour. Woo hoo!

    What's better than watching the Olympics on TV for free? Paying $75 a ticket to watch them from the stands near your hometown.

    I know you're searching Ticketmaster right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paisley - Well I did memorize what channels MSNBC and CNBC were on my cable just for the Olympics. I wasn't even aware I got CNBC.

    Renee - "It's all pipes! What's the difference?"

    Charlotta - Oh man, I was so hoping that'd be Brian Boitano. Wow. He had to be pretty good to do something like that.

    Coconut - I'll definitely keep you apprised on the Dalhausser situation. Be on the lookout for me some discount shades.

    Avery - Thanks for the heads up. I was right there with you until the $75 part. With my steady golf habit and my upcoming sunglasses purchase, I may have to pass. Wait, wait. Any chance Bela will be there, too???

    ReplyDelete
  7. May & Walsh on Letterman were awesome. Did you see it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Bone,
    First of all: a disoriented MALAISE? Are you sure you're straight? :) Sadly, I did't watch the Olympics. No, sadly implies I care. Again, teasing. I don't know, is it just me, or does it seem fair that Phelps' broke the gold-medal earning record when he has freakishly long arms? Spitz didn't have freakishly long arms. He did have that awesome mustache, though! Move over, Tom Selleck! Anyway, I'm sad that you're sad over the Olympics. But hey, only four more years 'til the next one, and only TWO more 'til the Winter games. hang in there, buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. never thought i would be hooked either...but i was loosing a lot of sleep ...it was great.

    Also just catching up on some of your news...congrats on your nephew, he is adorable, more pictures please.

    As for my never to be published drafts...there are plenty -nothing worth reading...yours was good. :)

    The last time I was here, I heard that your Dad is feeling better, was glad to hear that...not sure if I left a message...but thought I would check in to see he is well.

    Happy long weekend coming up, enjoy your nephew, Bone :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tonight, Misty May and Kerri are on. Thank goodness, too. Google images just wasn't doing it for me anymore.

    After that paragraph nobody should doubt your straightness meter--though the paragraph before puts it in context

    You're so sly Bone, Little Nibbler

    As long as I know a Law & Order is playing somewhere I'm happy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bone!!
    I found you again! Yay!

    Sorry it has been so long I wondered if maybe you were even still around.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're positively wonderful.
    I think you're a nut... but wonderful.

    I hate the Olympics. I know I'm practically Anti-American... but I just couldn't bring myself to watch it.

    Now that I've seen the effects (or is it "affects"??) the Olympics had on you... maybe I'm glad I'm such a rebel.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was tired of the Olympics by about the 11th day.. but I did enjoy watching Mr. Phelps - and Nastia (sp?).. I think my son has a crush on her. Well, I know he does.

    Probably not gonna be your fave, but I've started watching Jon and Kate plus 8. Scary.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Funny. Sorry, I can't help you--I spent most of the Olympics in the Canadian wilderness and the Democratic National Convention on the beach (Lake Michigan, that is) without a TV!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's like you've read my mind and posted. I too am suffering from Post Olympic Depression. Except I'm not scouring tv or internet looking for more. I'm using my new job as a distraction mechanism.

    ReplyDelete
  16. HotPink - Yes, I saw it. Awesome is one word for it :)

    Sean P - Yes, I'm sure. Watching Misty and Kerri reaffirmed it for me.

    UL - Dad is doing great. Had lunch with him yesterday. Thanks for asking :) Happy long weekend to you, as well.

    Pia - Well, I think at any hour of the day, Law & Order is being shown somewhere. Thank you.

    Witch Doctor - Yep, I'm still around, although maybe not quite as often. Good to see you back around, too.

    Blondie - You're one of the few people I let get away with calling me a nut. I'd leave you a return heart, but I have no idea how to make them. Oh wait, yes I do. Copy and paste. ♥

    Shelby - Ah, I was introduced to J&K+8 a few weeks ago. Did you see the one where he takes the kids golfing?

    Sage - I was actually expecting you to be at the DNC. I kept looking for your famous hat.

    Xinh - Well, Wiki'ing every Olympic athlete I could think of helped, a little.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like you suffered a bit from Olympics Induced Sleep Disorder (OISD). Or something like that...

    I think the Dalhausser is a good idea and hey, you'll probably end up with a groupie who will jump at the chance to buy you a pair of Oakley's. Otherwise, you could always hit up an outlet.

    ReplyDelete