Friday, May 05, 2006

Three years ago today...

Today is my three-year bloggiversary. I began blogging May 5, 2003. Actually, today would have been a good day to post my State of the Blog Address. Unfortunately, I posted that six weeks ago. But if you want to read sort of a summary of my blogging history, you can read that.

The difference in this past year and the first two years of blogging for me has been night and day. I thank each and every one of you for reading and commenting. Somewhere along the way, blogging has reminded me that I love to write. And that's a pretty cool thing.

I decided to do a combination Friday Flashback/bloggiversary post today. Tried thinking of my favorite post. Which led me to change up a few of the selected posts on the sidebar. I asked a couple of people what their favorite posts of mine would be. Some of the posts mentioned were Miss Nona, When two become one, My Town, and this one.

This is one of my favorites, too. I titled it "That City." It was originally posted June 29, 2005:


That city will always be her.

I have let go of the past. I have come to realize and accept what will never be. But I still remember. Everytime I drive thru that city, I am reminded all over again. She haunts the city streets. I can feel her. Everywhere.

Even before I reach the city, I think of all the times she must have made this very same trip. And it always gives me the same feeling. An odd mingling of emotions. Same place, different time.

I always wonder the same things while I am here. Where did she live? Did she walk these very streets that I am walking now? I pass a convenience store and wonder if she ever stopped there. I stop to eat at a little corner cafe. I wonder if she ever came here. And I wish that now was then. And that she was here.

The people I pass, the faces I see, I wonder if they ever knew her, one person in a sea of a million. Did the wind ever blow her hair into a mess? I imagine that it did, and I smile. Did she ever go to the movies alone? I think how that should never have happened, and it makes me a little sad.

I wonder if she ever got lonesome while she was here. She surely must have missed home. When she thought of home, did she ever think of me?

Before I know it, the day is drawing to a close and it is time to go. Leaving the city is a little bit like leaving her, losing her, all over again. Because part of her is still here, and always will be. I miss her more when I am here than when I am not. And yet I keep coming back again and again and...

I have picked up most of the pieces, the ones that I could find anyway. I have learned to live with my mistakes. I try and concentrate on the present, and the future. On what is, and what might be, rather than what will never be.

But that city... that city will always be her.

"Well I guess it's been a good year for roses and aggressions. For flowers and freeways..."

11 comments:

  1. Happy Bloggiversary, you handsome bastard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Bloggiversary. Thanks for the comment about Darly's picture...it's from when she turned two (that was her birthday picture.) She's still a cute kid. I just don't remember to take as many cute pictures of her anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy anniversary. I came over from Pia's. I have that feeling about a few cities myself, that seem to be haunted with past relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Bloggiversary!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is the appropriate bloggiversary gift after three years? Paper? Cotton? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Blog-Birthday! I'm so glad I found your site! Reading you (that's not dirty is it?) is fun. You give single guys a good name. Why is it that you're single again?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blondie: Thank you. 15 exclamation points and 3 smileys. I'm feelin' pretty special.

    Renee: Thanks. It was a very cute pic.

    Sage: Thanks for visiting. Is Pia linking me again? :)

    Xinh: Thanks. Did you begin in May as well?

    MappyB: Thank you.

    Carmen: That same thought actually crossed my mind. It would make a good post, I think. Virtual gifts for bloggiversaries.

    Lass: Um... I never can remember the answer to that question. Something to do with underwear on the floor, being too picky... Oh, choice. That's what it is. Yes, single by choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's the reason I no longer go to Dallas. So much pain. I can't not think of the giver of that pain while I'm there. I can't even see the name without the pain. Someday though.

    Oh, and you are single because of Florence. Identify her, and the rest is golden. Not that there's anything wrong with being single.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes I linked to you again. Anybody who could make up a word that I can't spell....oh forget that one

    This post actually made me long for a city or street that I couldn't walk down. Does bring back the feelings though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Bloggiversary! And great post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dorothy: "She's got like this jealousy thing. She doesn't like me having fun with anyone but her."
    "You know, it's a miracle you're not married."

    Pia: I wasn't sure if it should have one g or two. So I improvised.

    Tenacious One: Thank you. And thank you :)

    ReplyDelete