Friday, July 29, 2005

Sorry, July...

... but I'm afraid you can't go just yet. What the freak is going on? Weren't we just at the fireworks like last week? This seems like it has been the (fastest/shortest) month of my life. Why is everything moving so fast? Where does the time go?

Memory Burn
Certain moments in life stand out, I guess, for as long as you live. I can remember things, specific events, where I was, who was there, and sometimes even how I felt, from twenty or twenty-five years ago. And those moments are just as clear as if they had happened yesterday. That's memory burn (according to an episode of Seinfeld), things that are seared into your mind. And yet, there's all the other moments, hours, days, weeks, months, that are just a blur, and I can't remember much of anything about them. What makes certain moments stand out, even when at the time they happened, they may not have been as significant than other moments that have long since been forgotten?

One of my favorite "memory burn" moments is when she and I were at the beach, I guess about seven years ago. We were sitting by the pool on the second floor, facing the beach, with our legs thru the railing hanging off the deck. I was singing "The Coast Is Clear" of all songs. It was almost sunset. The ocean breeze was cool. Why did she put up with my singing? Why do any of them? I don't remember what we did that night. We surely went to eat somewhere, but I don't remember. I don't even remember getting up and going back to the room. It's just that one moment that stands out. I can just almost feel that breeze. That is a moment I never will forget.

The night the lights went out... at the tennis courts
Four little Mexican kids were running wild around the tennis courts Tuesday night while we were playing. All of a sudden, the lights went out. Well, once you turn the lights out, it's at least 15 or 20 minutes before they will come back on. Anyhow, I looked over and the kids, who all looked to be under 8 years old, were standing by the light box. So I walked over there and told them to go away. One of the boys pointed at this friend and said, "He did it." The accused looked at his friend and in this really evil little voice said slowly, "You.. betrayed.. me." I am really beginning to understand why people move to affluent, gated communities.

These pretzels are making me thirsty!
Two great Seinfeld eps were on last night, "The Implant" and "The Alternate Side." Some quotes:

"You don't touch the nose! You don't aspire to reach the nose. You don't unhook anything to get to a nose, and no man has ever tried to look up a woman's nostril."

Jerry: There's Sidra.
Kramer: There's Salman.
Jerry: Where?
Kramer: Talkin' to that woman.
Jerry: Talkin' to Sidra?
Kramer: If that's Sidra, she's talkin' to Salman.
Jerry: I don't think that's Salman.
Kramer: Well, I don't think they're real.
Jerry: If that's Rushdie, they're real.
Kramer: If they're real, that's Rushdie.
Jerry: Well, I gotta know. I'm talkin' to Sidra.
Kramer: I gotta know, I'm talkin' to Salman.

"What was wrong with that? I had a different interpretation! Do you know anything about this pretzel guy?! Maybe he's been in the bar a really long time and he's really depressed because he has no job, and no woman, and he's parking cars for a living! Alright! Alright! Shut up! Shut up! I hear you! I'm coming down! These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

Jerry: Shouldn't you do something with the extremities?
Elaine: What extremities?
Kramer: What's an extremity?
Jerry: You raise the feet, get blood to the head.
Kramer: You raise the head, you get blood to the feet.
Elaine: OK, what about a cold compress? They always do that.
Jerry: I don't have a washcloth.
Elaine: We'll use a paper towel.
Jerry: You can't put a paper towel on his head.
Kramer: What about a big sponge?
Jerry: How you gonna hold it on there?
Kramer (taking off his belt): We'll use a belt!
Elaine: No, no. It'll drip all over him.
Jerry: Should we walk him around?
Kramer: Yeah, I've seen them do that.
Jerry: No, no, that's for a drug overdose.
Kramer: Well, maybe that's what he's got.
Elaine: No, Kramer, I just had lunch with him, he didn't leave the table.
Kramer: Well he could have dropped acid when you weren't looking.
Elaine: He is not a drug addict!
Jerry: Hey, you know what? Maybe he's a diabetic, he might just need a cookie or something.
Kramer:Can you give him a cookie?
Elaine: How's he gonna chew it?
Jerry: We'll move his teeth. It happened to my uncle. The sugar revived him.
Elaine: Careful, you're getting crumbs all over him.
Kramer: I got him chewing, but I don't think he's gonna swallow.

I hope you all have a great weekend. I think I am heading up to Nashville tonight. Would like to get down to Kinlock Falls at some point, if I have time. There's a swimming hole, some rocks to jump off of, and of course, the falls. I'll try to take some pictures if I do make it down there. Here is one pic I found online.

"You're not the best thing that I knew. Never was. Never cared too much for all this hanging around. It's just the same thing all the time. Never get what I want. Never get too close to the end of the line..."

7 comments:

  1. I agree this month has gone by fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your memory burn...

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If August will be cooler than July - Hello August! :-) I agree, though, July did seem to go quickly.

    Nice memory burn moment. Isn't it odd how that happens to us? Sometimes I wish I had the ability to make a specific 'memory burn' but it's not something you can always do. It's just one of those things that happen on its own.

    Now I'm thinking about a lot of my 'memory burns'...lol...you're making me think of all the good and bad stuff up there in my head!

    I hope you have a great weekend. I hope you did make it to the Falls - it sounds lovely.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lindsy: Just wait 'til you get my age :-)

    oc girl: Thanks. You too ;-)

    lass: I can usually remember a line or three, but those long dialogues I have to get off the web. Or transcribe from a tape or DVD.

    cindy: Glad I was able to bring back some "memory burn" for you. That's what I was going for :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comment!

    I have a severe case of memory burn! But I always say that memories are our greatest treasures in life. It is those moments that make us who we are and what we love. All the others are forgotten so that the few that are most important stand out and get the credit they deserve.

    It looks as though you connect with tv as I do with music. A lot of my posts are lyrics, but are my feelings in song and therapy (well, for me at least).

    Thanks again! I think I will frequent your site often!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's reached the point where on July 4th I begin saying good bye to July because I know it will just run away faster than I can catch it.

    Love the Seinfeld dialogue

    ReplyDelete
  7. erica: Thanks for the comment. I usually post a song lyric at the end of each entry, too :-)

    pia: You are right about that. After the 4th, July is already gone.

    ReplyDelete