Wednesday, April 01, 2015

Roots



Us two
Fighting, at first
For the same ground
To escape the other's shadow
Then maturing
Content in our own petals
Yet forever sharing
An undeniable resemblance
Always side by side
Until someone
Picked you
Took you away
But if e'er you should miss me
Return to your roots
I am always here
Your sibling



April is National Poetry Month.  I am going to attempt to poem each day at my Poetry Wrecks site, home for wayward lyrics and disadvantaged poetry.  If I like any of them, I may cross post here, as I have done with this one.  For this, I was given an image of two flowers and challenged to write a 55-word free verse poem.

10 comments:

  1. I like it. It makes me think of my little brother. (Can I still call him little if he's taller than me and almost 41?) I like the flowers too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, he'll always be your little brother.

      Delete
  2. Nice poem and a good message of how we're connected to family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. Will you share it with your sister?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't considered it. I did share something I wrote about her once, a few years ago.

      Delete
  4. BTW, I have to enter every comment twice on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to do that sometimes on other blogs, too. I think it all depends on whether or not you're already logged into Blogger (Google) or not?

      I think I have the loosest comment settings Blogger allows. Anyone can comment and no word verification.

      Delete
  5. I like this. You have a knack for poetry. I dont. Perhaps you are good at poetry because of your extensive knowledge of song lyrics. Good luck with your poetry -a- day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DP! Unfortunately, too many of my "poems" wind up reading like song lyrics without music, I'm afraid.

      Delete