Wednesday, January 20, 2010

On The Road Again

I have interacted with the other humans five of the past six nights. This included a four-consecutive-night socialization extravaganza from Thursday through Sunday, the likes of which I have not seen since the Clinton administration. First term.

There was dinner with Lil' Bootay, dinner with Kywana, re-watching the national championship game with Axl, and shooting pool with the Darryls. That's everyone I know!

But the capper had to be last night, when I went to see Country Music Hall-of-Famer and living legend Willie Nelson in concert. That's right, the Red-Headed Stranger.

By the way, I'm going to make a conscious effort to not make a single weed joke in this post. Because really, it's a cheap laugh. And what a man does in the privacy of his home, tour bus, automobile, or public restroom is really nobody else's business.

That being said, if you had told me when I began this blog all those years ago that some day I'd be writing a post about seeing Willie Nelson in concert, I'd have said you must be smok-... um, never mind. This could be tougher than I thought.

Still, there I was on row N -- in front of the O's, hobnobbing with the L's and M's -- for Willie Nelson and Family.

The show was excellent. Willie can still sing and walk a guitar. At 76, the man is a marvel. The band was flawless. And, I didn't get high from secondhand weed. (This is not a weed joke. This is something I was honestly curious about before the show.)

One of the highlights for me was when someone tossed a Houndstooth hat on stage and Willie's son (and lead guitarist), Lukas, put it on and wore it the rest of the show. Ah, you know you're in 'Bama when...

As the wise grizzled sage recited some of the more memorable hits from his extensive catalog, I was reminded of his songwriting genius. And also inspired by it. Then I got to thinking how I've been blogging less lately. Feeling neglectful, I sat down and penned a few lines, just for you. I'd like to share those with you now.


Maybe I didn't post here
Quite as often as I could have
And maybe I didn't comment
Quite as good as I should have
Little things I could've blogged about
I just never took the time
But you were always on my mind...


Actually, now that I think about it, I'm a little confused as to whether I wrote that to my blog or my blog readers. Hmph. Oh well, who can tell in matters such as these? All I know is it sure is good to be on the blog again.

"How'm I doin'? Oh, I guess that I'm doin' fine. It's been so long now, but it seems like it was only yesterday. Gee, ain't it funny how time slips away..."

22 comments:

  1. Time to get out of the party mode my friend and back to work. ;)



    "Maybe I didn't post here
    Quite as often as I could have
    And maybe I didn't comment
    Quite as good as I should have
    Little things I could've blogged about
    I just never took the time
    But you were always on my mind..."


    perfect and worthy of stealing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Willie's son just moved up a notch in my book- knowing that he wore that hat all night blesses me.

    btw- Roll Tide Roll! 13 feels fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, from hermit to veritable social butterfly (not that you'd ever consider yourself one of those, I'm sure) in three weeks! Impressive!

    I've never been a big Willie fan. Sorry. I am, however, a fan of those lyrics. Just more proof you need to keep writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got a contact high once at a Steve Miller concert but I think I was closer to the H's. I saw Willie Nelson once upon a time at a FarmAid show. Man how time flies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And what a man does in the privacy of his home, tour bus, automobile, or public restroom is really nobody else's business.

    Have you not written a few post about public restrooms???? I think so.

    I do like your lyrics. Bone, you're funny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with TC on that last sentence. I'd make a joke about the one before it but I'm far too grown up ;D

    Gig sounds good. I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cooper - And by work, you mean staying holed up in the confines of my fastidious bachelor pad mostly avoiding human contact, right? :)

    Thanks, Miss Cooper.

    Cami - I know, right? I found myself sitting there hoping he wouldn't take it off. He actually kinda reminded me of Dante from GH.

    Roll Tide!

    TC - Something tells me you're enjoying calling me that a bit too much.

    Well, some of my future posts may be inspired by Willie. I'm not exactly sure what that will mean. Just giving fair warning.

    Ed - It really makes you wonder what this world is coming to when you can't get high just by attending a Willie Nelson show.

    OK Chick - Hmm, I guess I could have added the clause, "as long as he isn't directly violating the basic rules of male restroom etiquette."

    Thanks, OKC.

    J Adamthwaite - Eh, being grown up is a bit overrated anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Your social schedule leaves me exhausted. I'm in almost exhaustion mode

    Agree with Cooper and TC about the lines. Perfect

    ReplyDelete
  9. "wise grizzled sage" You talking about Willie or me?

    There are times I'd like to exchange my evenings with you--a good week is when I'm home more than not, and there are not many of those...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow you turned a Willie nelson tune into a bit about blogging... awww I feel kind of sad reading your post my Dad was a huge Willie Nelson fan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Q: What's 200 feet long and has 3 teeth?

    A: The front row of a Willie Nelson concert.

    I guess the further you are from the stage, the more teeth you have. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What does everybody sing on the beginning of a road trip with best friends?

    Wow there can be a Willie song for everything

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the recap. I'm still insanely jealous. Maybe he'll stop by the cold, cold north?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE Willie-and now I am singing You were always on my mind...may have to play a few records tonight! Maybe a little Kenny (Rogers that is) too. Great lyrics!

    ReplyDelete
  15. funny as always Bone. I'm glad you enjoyed the concert and didn't get high either. I too worried about that at a Paul McCartney concert, but all that happened was that we smelled pot before the concert started.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pia - Well, as I said, it's a rare phenomenon. So you should be back to having plenty of energy by my next post.

    Sage - Ha. It actually crossed my mind to put "wise grizzled sage (not Sage)."

    Michelle - I understand. He's my Mom's favorite.

    Murf - In the immortal words of you, "Wow."

    Pia - 99 Bottles Of Beer On The Wall?

    Oh, you mean On The Road Again :)

    Carnealian - It was pretty cool. I thought of you when he sang Angel Flying Too Close To The Ground.

    WorkingMom - You know they make "Honk If You Love Willie Nelson" bumper stickers, right? At least they did, when I was like five.

    Renee - Thanks. How was that concert? I wouldn't mind seeing him. My Dad was/is a big Beatles fan.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Maybe 2010 will be the year that you become more social!! Keep up the momentum!

    ReplyDelete
  18. sorry to change the subject -- but DID YOU SEE THE TORNADO IN YOUR TOWN YESTERDAY????????????!!!!!

    I did.

    on t.v. of course.

    hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ah yes Willie Nelson, that Texas icon I didn't know he left the state anymore.

    I loved TCs comment because I was thinking the same thing. Bone is free from his cacoon and becoming a social butterfly. Being a butterfly can give you so many more things to blog about.

    Obviously great minds think alike. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bone: Hey, if the wings fit... O:)

    PennyCandy: Great minds do think alike, don't they? :-D

    ReplyDelete
  21. lol...I love your lyrics, Bone! Now I have that Willie Nelson song stuck in my head. (Although it's a classic, so I don't mind.) Happy Sunday to you~~ :~)

    ReplyDelete