Thursday, November 30, 2023

alice

Alice
Are you smiling in some surf somewhere
With sun shimmer off your hair
I can see it when I close my eyes

Alice
Are you still there in Somerset
Or did you finally move north and west
I must have wondered ten thousand times

Alice
Did you hold onto your dreams
Or did you let them die like me
And forget we only get one life

Alice
Did you change the world for the good
Like I was always so sure you would
Or decide it wasn't worth the fight

Alice
I hope your life turned out quite fair
I can feel you in this November air
Are you singing "...For a Winter's Night"

Alice
I hope you're smiling in some surf somewhere
With sun shimmer off your hair
And I'll see you when I close my eyes


2 comments:

  1. This reminds me exactly of someone, but her names not Alice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I had commented. It's a melancholy poem that rings true to me and I'm sure for many of us who wonder what happened to those with whom we used to be close.

    ReplyDelete